Frequently Asked Questions

years of service
happy members
locations across the city
I have never heard of SMP. How long has the program been around?

The Senior Medicare Patrol program was established in 1997. Every state has its own SMP program. In Georgia, Louisiana, and Mississippi, the SMP programs are sponsored by AdviseWell, Inc. AdviseWell has been the SMP sponsor in Louisiana since 2009, in Mississippi since 2015, and in Georgia since 2018.

Are your services free?

Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) is a federally funded program, supported by the Administration for Community Living (ACL). There is no charge for our presentations, promotional items, or beneficiary assistance with Medicare fraud related issues. We do not sell services, products, or solicit donations.

I lost my Medicare card. How can I get a replacement card?

Call 1-800-Medicare to request a new card or log into your account to print a copy.

I accidentally gave out my Medicare number over the phone to a caller claiming to be from Medicare. What do I do now?

Medicare does not call beneficiaries to verify Medicare numbers. You should report that your Medicare number has been compromised to SMP and to 1-800-Medicare.

What happens after I report fraud?

SMP is a federal reporting agency. Once a complaint is received and it is determined that Medicare fraud has likely occurred, we report it to the Office of Inspector General (OIG) for further review and investigation.

I am having difficulty with my Medicare Advantage plan. Can you help?

For non-Medicare fraud related issues, questions about plans, enrollment, or benefits, please contact your local State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP):

  • Georgia: 866-552-4464 (Select option 4 from menu)
  • Louisiana: 800-259-5300
  • Mississippi: 844-822-4622
How can I report errors or fraud related to Medicaid?

If you suspect errors related to Medicaid claims or suspect fraud or abuse perpetrated by a beneficiary, contact your state Medicaid agency. If you suspect Medicaid fraud or abuse, contact your state’s Medicaid Fraud Control Unit (MFCU).

How can I file a complaint regarding the care that I received in a health care setting (hospitals, home health agencies, hospice, rehabilitation facility, nursing home, etc.)?

For quality-of-care issues, you should contact the Beneficiary and Family Centered Care Quality Improvement Organization (BFCC-QIO), State Medical Board and/or State Long-Term Care Ombudsman. In Georgia, Louisiana, and Mississippi, the BFCC-QIO is Kepro:

  • Georgia & Mississippi: 888-317-0751
  • Louisiana: 888-315-0636